Sunday 29 May 2022

Wild camping with company

I was running out of days in May to keep to my aim of camping every month.  I realised I could convert a train-assisted C&M ride to a camping-assisted ride.  Elevenses was in the Alice Holt Forest, near Farnham, and I found a few potential camping sites in the map.

Decision made in the morning, packed in about an hour, and on the train to Guildford at 6pm, timed to arrive discreetly just before sunset.  I thought I'd got the hang of this.  But on the train I realised I'd forgotten a spoon, without which it would be hard to eat my supper, instant noodles.  No matter, M&S food store at Guildford Station had disposable spoons, and also instant porridge.

My target camping area was on a big hill to the south.  Nice ride through familiar roads to Godalming and Elstead, then a steady climb before arriving to a deserted hilltop site with a nice grassy area near some trees for shelter.  It was lovely, except for hundreds of midges, who seemed to think they owned the place.  I had also forgotten my midge repellent!  But luckily I had a mosquito net, which I put on, a little too late.

Supper was rather rushed, due to the midges being hungrier than me, and me wanting to get into my sleeping bag ASAP.  As I finished up, the sun went down on a clear, warm and calm day.  I decided not to bother with a tarp as rain seemed unlikely, so just slept in a bivi bag.  And...relax.  Or not.  Every time I tried to go to sleep, I'd feel a bite, or feel tiny feet walking across my face in search of a meal.  I still had the mosquito net on, but I couldn't work out if the midges were inside or outside.  Possibly I was just imagining them by now.  Very annoying.

Eventually I did get to sleep, only to be woken just after eleven by two different sounds.  A few drops of rain, and, more alarming, the sound of voices.  Midnight walkers, with head torches flashing around my camp space.  I was well camouflaged, but my bright yellow panniers were just scattered nearby.   The walkers, three young men I think, stopped nearby, opened some cans and engaged in general chat and banter for about half an hour or more.  I couldn't make out what they were saying but football may have been mentioned.

It was very unsettling.  Several unlikely scenarios came to mind: would they try to make me pack up and move?  Would they steal my bike?  My panniers? (With all my day clothes, phone and wallet?)  None of this happened.  But there was a weird view to the north or north east of very many twinkling red lights on the horizon.  Could it be Guildford?  London?

Starry, starry night; crappy, crappy camera

Later on the sky cleared to a brilliant  starscape.  I cannot recommend highly enough the experience of lying beneath the stars, even if it is spotting very slightly with rain.  Everyone should try it.

It also got quite cold, so I put all my clothes on and pulled every drawstring up tight.  There were drawstrings for midges, for rain, and two for warmth - no chance of getting out quickly.

Sunrise over London

Woken by the dawn chorus, I was having breakfast when the sun rose, seeming to confirm that it was London I could see in the night.  Packed up and away by 5.30 with a three mile downhill in the cold morning, to Churt and Frensham Pond.  I was going to be early for elevenses...

Frensham Pond


No comments:

Post a Comment