Saturday 8 October 2022

I Rode the Rode Road (and the Rode Road Won)

After my amazing start to the day, the rest of the morning was a bit of a let-down.  Just lovely countryside, quiet roads, a few hills, a castle or two.  Not a single ride through an epic country estate.  
 
The Rode Road

I stopped for elevenses at Westbury, and headed north, where I rode the Rode road (to Rode), met a few cyclists, and a nervous horse whose rider asked me to say "Hi Trojan".  Funny name for a woman, I thought.
 
What is this?


Farleigh Hungerford Castle

I was planning on lunch at Bradford on Avon, but got side-tracked by a nice pub just before.  This demoted Bradford on Avon to simply a tourist stop, which it excels at.  It's on the Avon, and to the south is flat, but to the north is a near-cliff where a lot of the town is built.  I mainly explored the south side.  A very picturesque place and well worth a longer visit, perhaps on foot.



From there, ten miles of Kennet & Avon canal towpath led to Devizes for tea, well, refreshments and tea shopping.  What can I say about the towpath?  It's nice.  Fairly flat, at first.  Decent surface although not tarmac.  Good views. Sunny.  A few boats moving about, and lots moored.  And I saw a kingfisher.

Near Devizes, there's a hill, Caen Hill, hence a staircase of 25 locks, going up to Devizes.  I'm going to try to camp near there tonight.
Caen Hill locks


No comments:

Post a Comment