Wednesday 4 October 2023

Touring Rutland, day 2

Getting ready for bed in the dark was an adventure. I slept well and didn't wake till 7am.  After a fight with my Garmin I eventually set off for a tour of Huntingdonshire before heading back to Northamptonshire.

A rather busy B road took me to the village of Pidling, where they definitely have a sense of humour.  I left along Pidling Sheep Lane, where there were sheep but they were all in the fields and too far away for me to verify any special characteristics. 
 
Pidling (read the small print)

St Ives, Huntingdon and St Neots are all close to each other on the Great Ouse river.  I stopped first in St Ives, a lovely market town with nice shops and a beautiful bridge over the river  The Thicket Path led out of town to the lovely old village of Houghton, half way to Huntingdon.   I didn't see the lovely part of Huntingdon,  but you can't look everywhere.  It wasn't as well-to-do as St Ives.  Then I struggled into the wind southwards, through a series of romantically named villages in the Offord family: Offord D'Arcy, Offord Cluny;  to St Neots, which is a likeable place with nice shops.  Had a vast and much-needed lunch at a cafe in a riverside park.


St Ives

Huntingdon (spot the difference)

River Nene at Godmanchester,
south of Huntingdon

Leaving St Neots I followed another greenway, with a huge pedestrian bridge across the flood plain - it must have been 1/2 a mile long.  I was at last heading north - hurray!  In fact I was on the Great North Road for a bit, by Eaton Socom (now bypassed). 

Enormous footbridge at Eaton Socom

Oops.  A ford.  Not too deep...

I rode half way round the vast Grafham Water, which wasn't as good as I hoped, as it was never that close to the water, and consequently quite hilly, also mostly gravel and into the wind.  Ten hard miles.   I had definitely left Fen country, and soon I met my old friend the A14 again.  I was so desperate for a tea stop I went into the A14 services at Spaldwick, comprising a Greggs and a Costa.

Hard-working turbines

Grafham Water

Then, a bit of a mistake.  A couple of miles of bridleway, uphill.  My expert tracking skills told me a tractor had been this way recently.  Freshly cut hedges, and telltale tyre tracks, which I could feel rather than see in the grass.   After half a mile I caught up with the tractor and he moved aside to let me pass.  I was high on the side of a hill, and I could see rain showers in the distance,  which gave me some satisfaction until I realised they were coming my way.

Definitely off road
(Plus wind-blown telegraph pole)

Back on tarmac, a tail wind, back into Northants, crossing my path from yesterday, along a ridge,  all good until the shower caught up with me.  By the time I'd put away my washing, taken off my warm top and put on my waterproof,  it had stopped.

I looped down into the Nene valley again, through pretty Aldwincle, then followed  the Nene (sort of) up to Oundle.  Oundle is an up-market town dominated by the posh Oundle School, in the same way that Eton dominates Eton.  I would have liked to look around more but I had to find a campsite before sunset.  The wind seems to have died down, at last.
 
Oundle School chapel

Oundle

Same old story - nobody answering the phone (at 6pm) - so I decided just to turn up, which worked well, at thectime ofcwriting.  I found a camp site at Yarwell Mill, on the Nene; a big field with a few tents, nice showers, and loads of geese.   I pitched in the gloaming, and headed straight to the excellent pub for a meal and a pint.

Post Script:  If only I had been there a couple of days later, I could have experienced the World Conker Championships, held at Southgate, near Oundle.  I may never have that opportunity again.


Day 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

No comments:

Post a Comment