Sunday 21 August 2022

August camping in Kent, day 3

<< Day 2

As it had all gone better than planned on day 2, there is a lot less to report today.

My camping spot was great, if a little near a quiet footpath.   Loads of bird calls, which suddenly went quiet maybe half an hour after sunset.   I woke at 5.30 but decided to have a lie-in, since it is Sunday and I had nothing with me for breakfast.   Which was a bit of a mistake, as I was spotted by a dog-walker as I was just finishing packing up.  It must have been obvious that I'd been camping, but he said nothing apart from calling his curious dog.

Planes, trains and bicycles near Gatwick

Back on the Worth Way by 7am, which took me into the maze of Crawley, and then on a very convoluted path through Gatwick airport.   A sign says "Cyclists take care" but this is not because of low-flying planes, fast motor traffic or anything like that, it's just that the cycle path (NCN 21) winds around buildings, pillars, car parks with very poor signage.   I got to Horley just after 8, and indulged a fabulous two-course breakfast with lashings of coffee.   My original plan was to ride to Caterham station and get a train home, but I had plenty of time to ride home.  So it was familiar (to Wayfarers) roads back to Brockham, elevenses in Leatherhead, and home around lunchtime.  Plenty of time to air all my gear in the hot afternoon sun.   And I met Maureen, Lillian and Ed near Leatherhead, on their way to Brockham for their elevenses!

It was a fabulous trip, especially the outward part through the Weald and along to the Military Canal.  The return was great too, varied and hilly but without the amazing views from the ridges of the High Weald.  Plenty of nice cafe stops too.  I was a bit worried that 16 miles of disused railway (Forest Way and Worth Way Tunbridge Wells-East Grinstead-Crawley) might be rather boring, but it was most enjoyable, partly because I met the father and daughter doing their first camping trip, who were great company.

Just short of 200 miles with about 3,400m of climbing.  I'd recommend it.

Planned route (I rode straight home after Horley)

No comments:

Post a Comment