Saturday 20 August 2022

August camping in Kent

Because why not?  The heatwave is over, the rains have been and gone  ... or have they?  I picked a day between rail strikes packed a few things, and buzzed off to East Croydon to begin.  I decided to explore the Kentish High Weald, a AONB crescent of woods, heathland and hills south of the North Downs.  Familiar roads through Godstone, Outwood, Smallfield, and Turners Hill to get south of our normal haunts, then mainly east.   Unexpectedly,  it drizzled nearly all morning from Godstone to lunchtime, which was sort of nice and cooling on a warm humid day.


Godstone pond

It's sparsely populated, and cafes are rare.  My planned cafe at Shapthorne was closed on a Friday  but I came across a farm shop with cafe soon after, which was great.

Soon after that, I entered the Ashdown Forest, which is huge.  Sunny.  Beautiful.  And hilly.   Gorgeous long descents, and ridge riding, with views for miles over the Weald.  And long, steep climbs.  Prominent No Cycling signs are everywhere in the many car parks, so I was limited to short walks.


I went through the Five Hundred Acre Wood, downsized to only 100 acres in Winnie the Pooh.  Disappointing.   Inaccessible, dark and overgrown, at least from where I was.   Other bits of the Ashdown Forest were much more appealing.



(Five) Hendred Acre Wood




The quiet roads zigzagged their way east to Crowborough,  the first town.  It was tea time.  A mirage appeared in the afternoon sun: it was a Wetherspoons!   An ideal tea stop, except without cake.

After an unplanned rough track and more lovely ridge riding, I unexpectedly found a great pub, the Crafty Fox at Mark Cross, with wonderful food and a superb view of Kent's finest countryside.  Except, I was disappointed to discover I was still in East Sussex!

Abandoned sawmill


The High Weald is simply gorgeous cycling country: highly recommended.

Campsite
 It was hard to find a likely campsite. Access Land is scarce, but I found a rather hilly wood, accessed by a footpath over a railway line, with a stile each side.  Not a good start.  The wood wasn't very promising - overgrown and steeply sloping - but I found a spot just off the path, and had a very quiet night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment