Monday 5 August 2024

Tour de Leicester, day 1

I've waited sooo long for this trip.   Endless rain and cold weather gave way to summer eventually, but then "events, dear boy" kept me enjoyably occupied for a few weeks.

So here I am, tent packed and on the train to Leicester,  in the middle of the school holidays, the Olympics, and amid outbreaks of civil unrest in many English cities.  Leicester had a dispersal order in force last night, but no actual riots.

My plan is to meander around Leicestershire, exploring and camping, and maybe take in parts of Lincolnshire if I run out of Leicestershire.  I've packed light, only two panniers for the first time since I discovered all those extra bits and pieces you can buy on AliExpress or Decathlon.  I'm not sure how I managed to get round most of the GB coast with only this much stuff.

I arrived in Leicester mid-morning and skipped the city tour, heading straight out of the city instead.  It all looked peaceful,  and I was soon in the even more peaceful countryside.  Heading east on gently rolling countryside, it was all lovely, with empty lanes, a few combine harvesters at work in the fields, and a tail wind to keep me company.   I passed by Frisby and Gadby where the exclamations "By Gad!" originated,  at least in my version of history.  I turned south towards Market Harborough,  and the landscape became more crumpled, with steep crinkly valleys.

Traffic-free lane

Just before Market Harborough I met another cyclist, heading home after his morning ride.   He recommended a cafe in Great Bowden, where I had possibly the best bacon roll ever, complete with mango chutney, tomato and chilli cheese.  Also the most expensive ever.


From there it was especially beautiful.   Market Harborough is a lovely town, approached along a riverside cyclepath, and with a beautiful market street, nice looking buildings and shops.

Market Harborough 

Then along the canal to Foxton, where there is a ladder of locks, bustling with people; two cafes, two pubs and a museum.   Unfortunately they were having a water emergency;  one of the lock reservoirs half way down had been overfilled and was overflowing into the lock and also into the museum, sadly.  Lots of Canal & River Trust people doing stuff, letting torrents of water out here and there. 

Grand Union canal



After that it was mainly west, across the M1 towards Hinckley, near Nuneaton. Nice riding, again very quiet roads.   After a while I found a nearby campsite at Stoney Stanton with a fishing lake - a bit like Henfold Lakes, and pitched my tent.  

Gated roads...

Tent, sweet tent

It's forecast to rain early tomorrow,  so I may wait till it clears before packing up - but dry and maybe less humid after that.  I haven't  bought many cold weather clothes, so I hope it stays warm overnight.


Day 1 · Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment