Thursday 8 August 2024

Tour de *Lincolnshire*, day 4

I'm in Lincolnshire!  My route today:   first 50 miles; flat.  Then a few hills.  It's all fens, straight roads, a few ditches draining the land, views for miles.

With a following wind, I'd soon knocked off seven miles to an awakening Spalding:  nice town centre and a good breakfast cafe.  The sky gradually became overcast as I rode north east, another twenty miles to Boston.  It was nice - not featureless, but I didn't feel the need to stop to take any photos either.

Spalding

I've ridden through Boston before, while riding up the east coast.   I recognised the church tower from miles away, like a lighthouse across the fens.  Boston has a nice spacious town centre, and I discovered a quaint 'old town' just by the river and the church, with narrow cobbled streets and little old pubs.  No time to try them though.   The old town gave way to an old railway line,  now a cycle trail, the Water Rail Way, aka NCN route 1, following the river Witham all the way to Lincoln.  

Boston

Old town

Water Rail Way


I followed it north, part tarmac trail and part road, all the way to  Woodhall Spa, about twenty miles which seemed to go by quickly with nice views across the land and the river.  Also a few invisible fighter jets above the clouds, from RAF Coningsby.  Probably stealth fighters.

Stealth fighters

At Woodhall Spa it had started to drizzle, and I found an old time cafe, with old time crockery and prices.  It was a nice town, a bit reminiscent of a seaside town but without the sea.  Plenty of reasons to visit.

After a long ride in the fens, it was nice to have some different countryside.  I left along a wooded lane and was then back on open farmland meadows and cornfields.

I'd found a campsite in a pub for tonight (well, in the pub garden): the Red Lion at East Kirby.   I had to pitch the tent in the rain - not ideal - but the campsite had good facilities including an onsite pub with good value food.

There was a wartime RAF base at East Kirby, with Lancaster bombers, and the (disused) airfield is still here.  There's also an aviation museum with a Lancaster bomber.


Day 3 · Day 4 · Day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment