Monday 17 September 2018

Day 7. Durness to Tongue with plenty of Hope! 44 miles and 3000 feet of ascent.

Well, that was a very Scottish day!  ....  As we were in Durness we walked in morning sunshine to Smoo Cave and then to the John Lennon Memorial Garden  before setting off for  Loch Hope  and a bonus ride along the Hope valley to the start of the climb up Ben Hope.    .... it was all going so well. .... we had a lot of Hope!  Al fresco lunch was organised from the back of the  car and spirits were high as we set off along the valley ...... 8 miles later the weather was starting to deteriorate and there was dissent in the ranks, suffice to say that the ride leader (me!) was out voted by three to one and we turned back!  .... okay,  it was a good decision especially as it hammered down for the final ten miles of the ride and we endured the worst climb of the tour!  .....

Happy to be sat by a peat fire this evening but the forecast for the next two days is not good!  .... it was however another great day of cycling and we are looking forward to tomorrow's challenges!
.... and so to a little bit of administration.... having regard to my well deserved promotion to Ride Director, I thought it made sense for me to appoint an assistant RD. (You can never have enough managers!)  ... so I interviewed what I can only describe as three old men who quite frankly were not up to the job either individually or collectively.  Fortunately there was one other candidate and I am delighted to say that I have been able to make an appointment.   .... to be honest,  she had me at "Hello ".

Pictures to follow!

Mike 

Relive 'Morning Sep 17th'




No comments:

Post a Comment