Tuesday 18 September 2018

Durness Youth Hostel - Bike Shed Special

If you"ve ever visited, (and who hasn't?), you'll know the Durness bike shed is, well, a shed, held down against the wind by thick steel cable guy ropes.

From our Raasay correspondent;

The official SYHA history has this from me:

I think I can date the (Durness) bike shed. It’s had its fair share of knocks. I arrived at the hostel at noon. ‘Where’s the bike shed?’ I asked the warden (a Glaswegian carpenter?); he pointed to pile of wooden panels.

Later on he suggested that we assemble them. It soon became clear that they’d arrived ahead of the warden. So for several hours we sweated, swore, pushed and pulled, and eventually four sides were bolted together. My bike had a bed (if not a roof) for the night. On the radio was Scotland v England at Hampden Park; Steve Coppell scored the only goal so the date of birth can only be 20th May 1978.

Any chance you could re-stage the hostel photo to include the shed and (I presume) the manager?

No comments:

Post a Comment